Your roadmap needs to explain the why, when, and what of your strategic plans. It should tell a complete story about what the team has accomplished and what is coming up next. An accurate sense of progress shows everyone how far you have come — it also gives you an opportunity to make small adjustments as things change leading up to your delivery dates.
You can track progress on all major Aha! record types using the Progress field. This field helps you capture the percentage of work completed using manual entry or by automatically calculating it from related records. Once captured, you can visualize your progress data on your roadmap and in analytics reports.
Setup and configuration
Progress tracking can be configured at Settings > Product (or Workspace) > Configure > Record progress. The options for this setting are Enabled, Disabled, or Inherit from [line]. By default, product and marketing workspaces are set to Inherit from [line], which means that the setting is enabled or disabled based on the value set at the parent product (or marketing) line.
When Record progress is enabled, owners and contributors can choose the Show progress field or Hide progress field actions from the More options menu located in the top-right corner of the record drawer and the record details page. All user roles have permission to view progress on roadmaps and reports.
Once the Progress field is visible on a record, you can choose the best way to calculate the percent completed — by either entering it manually or automatically calculating it from related records. The options for tracking progress vary from record type to record type, as shown in the table below.
|Record type||Product workspaces||Marketing workspaces|
|Releases (or schedules)||
|Release phases (or schedule phases)||
|Master features (or master activities)||
|Features (or activities)||
* Only available if master features are enabled.
** Only available if capacity planning is enabled. When you enable capacity planning together with the Record progress setting, you can visualize progress based on the remaining estimate for your record.
To choose how progress is calculated on your record, click the Calculate from link next to the Progress field and select one of the calculation methods. The default is Enter manually for all records except the following:
- In product workspaces, Calculate from features completed is selected by default on releases. To-dos completed is selected by default on release phases.
- In marketing workspaces, Calculate from activities completed is selected by default on schedules. To-dos completed is selected by default on schedule phases.
There is an important distinction to be made between Calculate from features (or activities) and Calculate from features completed (or activities completed) —
- Calculate from features (or activities): This option will show progress % based on an average of the progress from child records. For example, if you have a release with 10 features — Feature A is 20% complete, Feature B is 30% complete, Feature C is 80% complete, and the remaining 7 features are 0% complete — the Progress field will indicate 13%, which is the average of the % complete of all ten features.
- Calculate from features completed (or activities completed): This option will show progress % based on completed records. For example, if you have a release with 10 features and 4 are in a status of Complete, the Progress field will indicate 40%. Note: A feature is determined complete if it is mapped to a status category of Shipped or Done.
Tip: We recommend customizing your feature (or activity) cards to show the progress bar so you can manage the percentage of work completed from the features board (or activities board).
Visualize progress on your roadmap
The progress bars that appear on your records can be displayed on a roadmap by enabling the Show progress or Hide progress setting. These settings can be enabled using the Settings button found on the following roadmaps:
- Portfolio (Show progress is enabled by default)
- Gantt (Show progress is enabled by default)
- Strategy (Show progress is disabled by default)
- Starter (Show progress is disabled by default)
- Custom (Show progress is disabled by default)
Progress tracking will vary from team to team, but it helps to be consistent across each product or marketing workspace. Here is a quick example to illustrate how you could use the Progress field to keep your deliverables on track.
- Set all initiatives to Calculate from features
- Set releases to Calculate from features
- Set features to Calculate from requirements
When you set each record with the configuration above, you can create roadmaps that show progress on your strategic initiatives and releases. As your records are completed, your progress bars will update. This configuration is particularly valuable for accounts that are integrated with an external development system. Once you set it up, the status updates will flow back to Aha! and your progress will calculate automatically as features and requirements are completed. Then, create roadmaps that show your progress.
Showing progress in analytics reports
Two fields are available to help you manage progress on your records in analytics reports (including list, chart, and pivot reports). Those fields include:
- Progress bar: This field will display the progress bar in the report. This field is available for all record types where progress can be tracked and can be added to a report using the Add data modal.
- % complete: This field will display the percentage value in the report and can also be used in a calculation column. This field is available for all record types where progress can be tracked and can be added to a report using the Add data modal.