Your roadmap needs to explain the why, when, and what of your strategic plans. It should tell a complete story about what the team has accomplished and what is coming up next. An accurate sense of progress shows everyone how far you have come — it also gives you an opportunity to make small adjustments as things change leading up to your delivery dates.
You can track progress on all major Aha! record types using the Progress field. This field helps you capture the percentage of work completed using manual entry, by automatically calculating it from related records, or by a mapped field in an integration. Once captured, you can visualize your progress data on your roadmap and in analytics reports.
Note: Depending on your workspace type, this article may refer to Aha! record types differently than your team does.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Setup and configuration
- Visualize progress on your roadmap
- Show progress in analytics reports
- Map progress in integrations
Setup and configuration
Progress tracking can be configured at Settings ⚙️> Workspace > Configure > Record progress, if you are using workspaces. The options for this setting are Enabled, Disabled, or Inherit from [line]. By default, workspaces are set to Inherit from [line], which means that the setting is enabled or disabled based on the value set at the parent line.
When Record progress is enabled, owners and contributors can choose the Add progress field or Delete progress field actions from the More options button, located in the top-right corner of the record drawer and the record details page. All user roles have permission to view progress on roadmaps and reports.
Once the Progress field is visible on a record, you can choose the best way to calculate the percent completed — by either entering it manually or automatically calculating it from related records. The options for tracking progress vary from record type to record type, as shown in the table below.
|Record type||Calculation options|
|Releases / Schedules||
|Release phases / Schedule phases||
|Master features / Master activities||
|Features / Activities||
* Only available if master features are enabled.
** Only available if capacity planning for individuals is enabled. When you enable capacity planning together with the Record progress setting, you can visualize progress based on the remaining estimate for your record.
To choose how progress is calculated on your record, click the Calculate from link next to the Progress field and select one of the calculation methods. The default is Enter manually for all records except the following:
- Calculate from features completed is selected by default on releases.
- To-dos completed is selected by default on release phases.
There is an important distinction to be made between Calculate from features and Calculate from features completed —
- Calculate from features: This option will show progress percentage based on an average of the progress from child records. For example, if you have a release with 10 features — Feature A is 20% complete, Feature B is 30% complete, Feature C is 80% complete, and the remaining 7 features are 0% complete — the Progress field will indicate 13%, which is the average of the percentage complete of all ten features.
- Calculate from features completed: This option will show progress percentage based on completed records. For example, if you have a release with 10 features and 4 are in a status of Complete, the Progress field will indicate 40%. Note: A feature is determined complete if it is mapped to a status category of Shipped or Done.
We recommend customizing your feature cards to show the progress bar so you can manage the percentage of work completed from the features board.
Visualize progress on your roadmap
To display your records' progress bars on a roadmap, check the Show progress checkbox in the Settings dropdown of the following roadmaps:
- Portfolio (Show progress is enabled by default)
- Gantt (Show progress is enabled by default)
Progress tracking will vary from team to team, but it helps to be consistent across each workspace. Here is a quick example to illustrate how you could use the Progress field to keep your deliverables on track.
- Set all initiatives to Calculate from features
- Set releases to Calculate from features
- Set features to Calculate from requirements
When you set each record with the configuration above, you can create roadmaps that show progress on your strategic initiatives and releases. As your team completes records, your progress bars will update — and so will your roadmaps.
Show progress in analytics reports
- Progress bar: This field will display the progress bar in the report. This field is available for all record types where progress can be tracked and can be added to a report using the Add data modal.
- % complete: This field will display the percentage value in the report and can also be used in a calculation column. This field is available for all record types where progress can be tracked and can be added to a report using the Add data modal.
Map progress in integrations
Engineering teams frequently track the completion percentage of their work. If you have integrated Aha! with a development tool, that information can flow directly to your Aha! records.
1. To do this, navigate to Settings ⚙️> Workspace > Integrations and create (or edit) an integration between Aha! and one of the following tools:
2. In the Mappings tab, click the Field mapping link beneath any mapped record type to map fields on those records. You can map progress fields on the following record types:
- Master features
3. Click the new field dropdown on the left and select <record type> % complete. So for example, the feature completion percentage field would be Feature % complete.
4. Click the directional arrows button between the two field dropdowns to set the direction of the integration.
Note: We strongly recommend that you set this to <development tool> to Aha! Since your engineering team created these estimates, you do not want to adjust them from your end.
5. Click the dropdown on the right to map your progress field to the appropriate progress field in your development tool. Jira and Rally both have standard progress fields; for other integrations you may need to create a custom field:
- <record> % complete
- % Done By Story Plan Estimate
- % Done By Story Count
6. Click Save and continue to save your changes.
7. Click Update records to pull completion percentage data into the new field immediately. All updates made in the development system moving forward will be updated automatically in your Aha! records.
- If a given Aha! record does not show the progress field already, sending the record to the development tool will add the progress field, and set the type to Enter manually.
- If you send an Aha! record's completion percentage from Aha! to Jira and no linked record already exists there, Aha! will create a record in Jira with an assumed effort estimate of one hour, and convert any completion percentage data to a percent of that hour. So for example, sending an Aha! record with 50% completion to Jira would create a Jira user story with 30 minutes of work logged out of an estimated 60 minutes.