Custom fields provide a way to capture data that is important to your business but is not a part of Aha! by default. You can add any number of fields to suit your needs, and every field that you add is reportable through a multitude of reporting options.
To avoid cluttering your records with unused fields, we suggest that you add only what is essential. But, ultimately, it is all up to you. Custom fields can be used for tracking personas, creative briefs, marketing spend, and any other information that is important to your team.
Adding a custom field is a three-step process and requires owner and administrator access with customizations permissions which includes:
- Add custom fields
- Add the custom field to a custom layout
- Apply the layout to your marketing lines and workspaces
Add custom fields
- Navigate to Settings > Account > Custom fields.
- Click on the tab where you want to add the field, and then click Add custom field.
- Select the type of field you want to add, and then click Next. There are 11 types of custom field you can add.
- Note: Aha! record relationships are custom field types that allow you to associate Aha! records with other Aha! record types like workspaces, creative briefs, competitors, and personas. These are a tag type field that allows multiple selections. When configuring this custom field, you can use Filter field values to specify whether the selectable values should span the entire account or be isolated to a specific marketing line or workspace. Further, users will only see values that they have permission to see.
- Note: When you select an Editable choice list or Tags field for your requests portal, users can choose existing values but not create new ones.
- Enter the field details and, if needed, enter an API key in the Key field. Depending on the custom field type you select, this step is also where you can bulk edit or assign colors to predefined field choices.
- Specify the custom field layout where your custom field should appear by choosing Use in layouts and selecting the custom field layout in use by your workspace(s). Note: If your workspace doesn't yet have any custom field layouts for this object type, then choose Use in workspaces. This will automatically create a new custom field layout for your new field and assign that layout to the workspace you have selected currently.
- Click Create.
Add the custom field to a custom field layout
Now that you have created the custom field, you need to add it to a custom layout. A custom layout is where you can determine which custom fields to display when you create a new record or viewing/modifying an existing record.
Layouts are organized by data object, which can be selected at the top of Settings > Account > Custom layouts. After you have selected the data object for which you want to manage a layout, you have a variety of options.
- To add a layout, click the Add custom layout button
- To clone an existing custom layout, hover to the right of the layout you wish to clone in the Actions column, and then click Clone. A new duplicate layout will be created with the same name prepended with "[Copy]" for you to edit and assign to workspaces.
- To modify an existing custom layout, hover to the right of the layout you want to edit in the Actions column, and then click Edit. Drag and drop each field from the Available fields column to the Visible fields column in the desired order. You can also use the search field to quickly find the custom fields you need from the list. To remove a field, simply move it back over to Available fields and it will no longer display that layout.
Apply the layouts to your workspaces or marketing lines
Now that you have your layout defined, it is time to assign it to a workspace. Navigate to Settings > Workspace > Configure. Scroll to the Custom fields section, and then select Use layouts inherited from [marketing line name] or Customize layouts.
Import data to custom fields
After you create a custom field, you can populate it using the Import from CSV tool. Each custom field requires its own column. If you are using a custom field with a predefined list, make sure the data you are importing matches the options in the list.
Expand beyond custom fields with custom tables
Custom tables is a feature available to Enterprise+ customers. A custom table is a collection of records organized in a table with data defined by custom fields. With custom tables, you can capture key information and link it directly to your existing data in Aha! — expanding your use of custom fields exponentially.
Custom table relationships
These options are exclusively available to Enterprise+ customers who use custom tables.
- Many to many relationship: Allows linking multiple records from a custom table to a standard record or another custom table.
- Master-detail relationship: Create and edit custom table entries inline within a standard table or another custom table.