Custom form layouts in Aha! allow you to select which fields you want your teammates to see at two important times: when they create a record and when they click in to see details about that record.
By adjusting these layouts, you can ensure that you capture and display relevant data for every record, link every record to your strategic vision, and use the fields associated with your records to build and share powerful reports.
Navigate to Custom Layouts
- Log in to Aha! and then click on the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- Select Account settings.
- Under Customizations, select Custom layouts. The Configure custom layouts menu will open.
- Select the record type that you would like to adjust. For new layouts, click Add custom layout to open the Create custom layout modal. To adjust an existing form layout, hover over an existing custom layout to Clone, Edit, or Delete it.
- Name your custom layout in the Name field. Note that there are two tabs on this modal. We will discuss these separately.
Note: Features and master features are separate record types that are independently configured.
Adjusting the create form layout
The first tab in the Add Custom Layout modal allows you to create, rearrange, or edit the form layout that a user sees when they first create a record. For example, when a user clicks the Add feature button, those are the fields in the order that they will see them.
It may be helpful to try to make this layout as simple as possible for the user while still ensuring that you have the minimum amount of information necessary to create the record. Users can always add more information to more fields after they have created the record. This form layout should include the information that every user will need to enter.
On the left side of the modal, you can see all the custom fields that can be added to the create form layout. On the right side of the modal, you can see all the fields (and the order of those fields) as they currently exist in the create form layout.
- Some required fields cannot be removed from or reordered in the create form layout. They will be greyed out and your mouse pointer will change to a no icon when you hover over them. For example, every feature needs to have a name before it can be created, and that Name field needs to be in a specific order on the layout.
- Some required fields can be reordered but not removed from the create form layout. Your mouse pointer will change to a vertical arrows icon when you hover over them.
- Some fields are not required and can be removed from or reordered in the create form layout. Your mouse pointer will change to an arrows icon when you hover over them. For example, a standard field like Description or a custom field like Internal kickoff date can be added to any place in the layout.
Click Reset to default at any time to return the create form layout to the default fields.
Note: Aha! does not currently allow you to define which fields are mandatory on a custom layout.
Adjusting the detail custom field layout
The second tab in the Edit custom layout modal allows you to create, rearrange, or edit the custom fields that a user sees when they click to open the detail drawer for a record.
On the left side of the modal, you can see all the fields that can be added to the create form layout. On the right side of the modal, you can see all the custom fields (and the order of those fields) as they currently exist in the detail layout.
Drag custom fields from the Available fields list to the Visible fields list to add them to the layout, and order them accordingly. Once you click the Save button, users will see your custom fields in the detail layout the next time they open that record type's detail drawer.
Note: Any fields you added to the create form layout will be reflected in the detail custom field layout. Any fields you remove from the visible fields in the detail custom field layout will be removed from the create form layout if they exist there as well.
Using your custom layouts
To select a custom layout, go to Settings > Product > Configure > Custom Layouts, then select the layout you want to use for a particular record type for that product. This will assign both the create form layout and the detail custom field layout for that record type.
When creating a record, it is occasionally possible to switch between layouts, either accidentally or on purpose. For example, you could create a feature and then add it to a release for a different product, and that product might use a different create feature form layout. If this happens, any text you have typed into a custom note field will be temporarily saved, in case you switched layouts accidentally. Switch back to your initial layout to see the text you typed in the note, or click the Save button to confirm your changes.
Finally, a note about ideas. The Ideas record type is used to manage the create ideas form layout for adding ideas and the layout that appears in the details drawer within your Aha! account. The Ideas forms record type is used to manage the idea creation form layout in your ideas portal. And the Ideas portal record type is used to manage detail custom field layouts for your ideas portal.