Aha! provides a two-way integration with Trello that allows product teams to send their planned work from Aha! to their team working in Trello. Before configuring any integration for the first time, it is important to fully understand how to think about integrating Aha! with your development tool.
This integration supports sending the following Aha! records to Trello:
- Master features
The above Aha! records can be mapped to the following Trello records:
- Checklist items
To set up an integration with Trello, you need to be a product owner in Aha! for the product you wish to integrate. You will also need to have a Trello account that has proper access to create/edit records in Trello for the project you plan to integrate with.
1. Navigate to Settings > Product and press Integrations + on the left side navigation bar. Select Trello from the integrations 2.0 grouping.
2. This will launch the integration configuration wizard. The first step is to name your integration and optionally select a template if you have already created one. Click Save and continue.
3. Next, you will authenticate with Trello. After you click the Authenticate button, you will be taken to Trello to log in and grant Aha! access.
4. After authenticating, you will be prompted to choose a Board. You will be able to select from any of the Boards that the authenticated Trello user has access to.
5. Next, you will be able to choose which List on the selected Board new features get created in when they are sent from Aha! to Trello, and whether they should be added to the top or bottom of the List.
6. Next, you will configure how Aha! records are mapped to your Trello records. Initially, the mappings will be already set based on a standard configuration; however, you can also remove the default record mappings and add your own custom record mappings.
7. Click Field mapping to customize the field mappings for each record mapping. This allows you to control how each field within the record is mapped between Aha! and Trello — as well as what relationship links exist for those records.
The relationship links define the parent/child relationship for records in your development system to be automatically imported into Aha! in certain use cases. You can learn more about them from our article, "Configure relationship links between integrated records."
8. While not every user will need to customize their field mapping, you do need to define the way Aha! statuses are mapped to Trello Lists. Within the field mapping section for each Aha! record, there is a row for Status with a gear icon at the far right. Click the gear icon to open up the status mapping window.
9. When mapping statuses, you will be presented with your Aha! status workflow for the record type on the left and your Trello lists on the right. You can drag and drop the statuses to create groupings and mappings.
10. With your records, field mappings, and statuses all set, you can click Save and continue to move onto the last step in the workflow. The Enable step allows you to specify how updates from Aha! are sent to your development system. The default setting is: Automatically send outgoing changes, which means that any change made to an integrated record will send to Trello automatically.
We recommend the Approve outgoing changes setting for teams that are unfamiliar with how the integration works. The approval step allows teams that are new to the integration to validate what is being sent to their development system, which can help prevent unintentional changes from going through.
11. Finally, test the integration by opening one of your features in Aha! and use the Send dropdown and select Send to Trello. You should see a link to the created Trello card appear on the Aha! feature after a few seconds. This will let you easily click into Trello to verify that everything was sent through correctly.