Google Hangouts Chat helps teams collaborate via one-on-one chat and in dedicated groups called rooms. As cross-functional teams collaborate within a room, they need key product updates as they happen. The Aha! integration for Hangouts Chat allows you to send customized product updates directly to a room in real time.
By customizing which strategy, release, idea, and feature updates you stream, everyone in the room can focus on what matters most. Example streams could include tracking product launches on releases or tracking team comments on key features.
Configure the integration under Settings > Account > Integrations. You can choose to create one or many integrations at the account or product level. Creating an account-level integration will send the activity stream for all products. Alternatively, creating a product-level integration will send activity only for the desired products.
You need to be an Administrator in your Aha! account to create an integration at the account level and a Product Owner to create one at the product level.
WARNING: Sending activity out of Aha! and into Hangouts Chat bypasses the security controls in Aha! and anyone who has access to your Hangouts Chat room will be able to see the activity, regardless of whether they have access to that information in Aha!
You need an Aha! account and a Google Hangouts Chat account to create this integration.
Create a webhook in Google Hangouts:
- Open your room in Google Hangouts Chat, create a new room or select an existing one, and then click on the room name at the top to expand the room menu.
- Click Configure webhooks, then in the modal that appears, click Add webhook.
- Name your webhook (e.g. Aha! product updates.)
- Enter https://www.aha.io/aha_square_300.png into the Avatar URL field.
- Save the webhook.
- Copy the webhook URL.
Create the integration in Aha!:
- Enter the URL into the Webhook URL field.
- Click the Test connection button. After a short delay, you should see a message appear in the Google Hangouts Chat room you copied the webhook from.
- Select the activities that you would like to appear in your Google Hangouts Chat room.
- Enable the integration.
- Consider renaming this integration with your Google Hangouts Chat room name for easy future reference. Perhaps something like, "Google Hangouts: #customers." You can do this by clicking the Google Hangouts Chat text in the heading of the page.
Note: All activity waits five minutes before posting to Hangouts Chat. This is to keep communication concise and avoid excessive messaging when a user is performing multiple edits at once.
To help you troubleshoot any errors, we give you direct access to the detailed integration logs on the configuration screen. Contact us at email@example.com if you need further help.