A product typically represents what you build and deliver to customers. It is what your customers buy or what your internal stakeholders use.
Please keep in mind:
- Products are used to set strategy, plan releases, capture ideas, and add features.
- Product lines are used to set strategy and create hierarchy by grouping products together.
No matter how many divisions, product groups, and products you have, Aha! allows you to build the hierarchy you need. It also gives your unique product teams their own workspace.
We automatically use your account name to create a top-level entity. This helps to create a nested portfolio structure to organize your data. It is also useful to set strategy at the top level and link it to work done in the product groups and on individual products. This makes it easy to have corporate-level goals and product-level initiatives that tie to them.
You can set up the right hierarchy for your company by doing the following:
- Under the top-level entity, you should add product lines to represent the various divisions and product groups across your company.
- Next, you will want to add the individual products under their parent product groups by name.
Create your product lines from Settings > Account > Configure products.
- Click on Add product line.
- Select the parent product line to which it belongs (if one exists).
- Enter a product line name, type, optional description, and prefix.
- If you have already added products, select those which should be included within this product line. Then, click Create product line.
- It may be helpful to select consistent type nomenclature across your Aha! account before you start creating product lines (for example, "Company > Division > Subdivision > Product," or "Organization > Team > Group > Product"). You can also edit this field at any time if your account's nomenclature needs to change.
- There are situations where you might want to have inconsistent nomenclature in your account — if you want to ensure that no one will be able to accidentally report on one product's initiatives under a different product line's goals, for example.
Next, add your products.
- Click on Add product.
- Select the product line to which it belongs (if one exists).
- Enter a product name, optional description, and prefix. Then, click Create product.
After you add your product groups and individual products, you will see them available in the navigation. Remember that you and other users are not able to edit or delete products that you do not have permissions for. In settings, navigate to Settings > Account > Users to edit permissions.