Note: Depending on your workspace type, this article may refer to Aha! record types differently than your team does.
Idea portals allow users to submit ideas for enhancements to workspaces and are typically set up for a specific workspace or a set of workspaces. Each workspace manager on your team can then distinctly manage and prioritize the new ideas for the workspaces he or she owns. If an idea portal is set up for a portfolio of workspaces, those ideas may also be reviewed by the workspace managers as a team.
There are instances where ideas are not specific to a single workspace, or your customers may not know which workspace their idea applies to. When this is the case, we recommend creating a single "idea workspace" to provide your users a central location to submit their ideas to, and for your workspace managers to gain the ability to review ideas spanning multiple workspaces. This is a great solution to simplify the user experience and gather ideas that may tie into several workspaces.
- Define a new workspace. This workspace will serve as a place for your new ideas. It can be as simple as <company name> Ideas (e.g. Acme Ideas).
- Set up an ideas portal for this workspace. You may choose to make this portal submit-only, private or public.
- Decide on the appropriate role for each of the workspace team members and whether to add them as watchers for the new portal workspace in the Ideas -> Overview page. Adding them as watchers will result in them receiving an email notification for any idea related event for this workspace.
Manage and promote ideas to features or initiatives
- Set up a review process for new ideas. The team can meet to decide if ideas should be transferred to another workspace for further vetting or be promoted directly to an initiative or feature backlog for a workspace.
- To move a single idea to another workspace, click on the idea in the application to open the drawer page and modify the workspace field. To move multiple ideas to another workspace en masse, go to Ideas -> List and select the ideas to move. You can then assign the ideas to another workspace using the Bulk Edit feature.
Considerations with this approach
Taking this centralized "idea workspace" approach for capturing ideas across a suite of workspaces can create simplicity for the person submitting the idea. However, here are a few considerations to discuss with before deciding on this approach for your team.
- You are unable to have unique idea submission fields per workspace since you are capturing all ideas at a single entity level. You need to put some thought into the required idea custom fields you wish to include in the idea submission form to capture key information spanning the suite of workspaces.
- You may opt to use workspace names as idea categories which can then be selected as part of the idea submission process. This may be helpful when reviewing ideas that have been submitted to the workspace team to enable quick segmentation of the ideas.
- Once an idea is moved to another workspace, the idea will no longer be visible in this new general ideas portal. This assumes the workspaces don't share the same portal which would be the case with this approach.
Note: This only applies when moving the idea across workspaces. This does not occur when the idea is promoted to an initiative or feature for a different workspace.
For more information about managing ideas, read this.