Ideas portals in Aha! allow you to manage the feedback you receive in records called ideas. You can connect ideas directly to your strategy and planning efforts, promote them to backlogs or strategic initiatives, and discuss them internally — or with the community of users in your ideas portal.
If you come to Aha! with a collection of ideas already, you will want to import those records and the associated users into your new ideas portal. Aha! has two ways to do this: by CSV import or from UserVoice.
Note: We recommend that you import portal users before you import ideas so that Aha! can associate imported ideas with pre-existing portal users.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
Import ideas by CSV
Wherever you collected feedback formerly, it is likely that you can export your information in the form of a CSV file. Use the Aha! CSV import wizard to import ideas or ideas portal users.
Notes on the CSV import:
- When you import ideas portal users, Aha! will give you the option to send them an invitation email. This allows the users to opt-in to the new portal by creating a login associated with their email address. We have made this step optional since you may not want to email your entire list of users.
- Each CSV import applies to a single ideas portal. If you have multiple portals in Aha!, create a separate import file for each.
- You will not be able to import a CSV file that contains duplicate emails or emails of users that already exist in that portal. If you see a "Portal user already exists" error displayed upon import, remove that user from the CSV file and try again.
- Upon import, you will be able to review the ideas before making them visible to the public. Their default visibility status will be set to Aha! users only for this reason. You can bulk edit the ideas to change their status faster.
Import ideas from UserVoice
The Import from UserVoice tool allows you to shift your ideas portal from UserVoice feedback to Aha! ideas — including both the records themselves and the users associated with them. You can import the following information:
- Idea name
- Idea status
- Portal users
- Idea votes
- Idea comments
To import from UserVoice:
- Navigate to Settings > Workspace > Import from UserVoice.
- Choose the workspace or product that the UserVoice ideas will be imported to.
- Choose the ideas portal that the UserVoice ideas will be imported to.
- Enter your UserVoice credentials.
Note: the UserVoice domain field just needs your subdomain; you can omit the ".uservoice.com" part of the URL.
- Click the Test connection button to connect Aha! to UserVoice.
- Configure field mapping between UserVoice suggestion statuses and Aha! idea statuses. You can configure Aha! with custom statuses to match what you have in UserVoice. Or you can map the existing UserVoice statuses to new Aha! statuses.
- Click the Import button to complete the import.
Notes on the UserVoice import:
- We recommend that you use this import as a one-time process to transfer records from UserVoice to Aha! — with the idea being that your Aha! ideas portal will be your only ideas portal going forward. If you complete this import more than once, you risk duplicating ideas that exist in both imports, as UserVoice ideas have no reference ID or equivalent unique identifier that Aha! can use to recognize and avoid duplicates.
- When you import UserVoice ideas into Aha!, the ideas will all be set as private. You can use the Ideas > List page in Aha! to bulk edit the ideas and change their visibility after they have been imported.
- Aha! will only import new users. This is to keep Aha! from importing duplicate users if it determines that a UserVoice user already exists as an Aha! user.
- When users are imported, Aha! does not automatically send out an invite email. This allows you to import ideas with their associated users and not email every user at the same time of the import. Your users will exist in Aha! after the import, however, so they can access your portal and reset their password to access the ideas within your Aha! ideas portal. You can manage your users in the Portal users tab of your portal settings.
- Votes that are anonymous are not copied to Aha! because we cannot associate them with a user. This can happen when a user deleted themselves from UserVoice after placing a vote.