There are hundreds of ways you can customize Aha! to match how your team works. Some teams may wish to go beyond custom statuses, fields or terminology and add their own custom extension to the Aha! data model. Custom tables, available to Enterprise+ customers, enable exactly this.
Note: The Product > Custom tables view is hidden by default in new Aha! accounts. If you are an Enterprise+ customer and would like to enable the view, you can do so by customizing your menu navigation.
By managing this information directly in Aha!, you can make better prioritization decisions and share the most important information related to your product plans and roadmaps. For example, you could make a custom table to manage a central list of key strategic customers. In addition, markets or opportunities can be centrally located and visible across your organization.
What you track with custom tables is completely flexible and up to you — in all cases, you can then easily link what is being tracked to your product initiatives, features, and ideas for a single view into roadmap impact.
How it works
A custom table is a collection of records organized in a table with data defined by custom fields. The information can be managed within Aha! and can also be programmatically imported and kept up-to-date through our API.
Product owners and contributors on the Enterprise+ plan can create and configure custom tables by following these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Account > Custom tables and click Create custom table.
- You can create your custom table from scratch or begin with an example table and modify it as necessary. The examples you will see are for common use cases, including datasets related to customers, markets, opportunities, partners, or release history. The example tables create a set of relevant custom fields. If you use an example table and you'd like to link the custom table to your existing Aha! records, you will still need to set up a relationship custom field. See step 4.
- Add and modify custom fields by clicking the Add custom field option or click on the custom field name to modify the field. Note: The value in the first field will be used as the identifying name for the row's record when it appears in Aha!
- Link your custom table to existing data via two custom field types: the master-detail relationship and the many-to-many relationship. Note: After you have created a custom table, a new Custom Tables option will appear in your Product navigation dropdown.
Product owners and contributors on the Enterprise+ plan can add records to any custom table in the account. Custom table records are associated with a product or product line. They can be viewed and edited from a given product or product line under Product > Custom tables. Each tab represents a table with data in the selected product.
Tip: You can edit many custom table records at the same time using the bulk edit action.
Custom tables need at least one record before they will appear in Product > Custom tables. To add the first record to a custom table within a product, click the + icon and select the custom table from the Add custom table dropdown. Once the first record has been added, the records can be accessed and edited through the new corresponding tab.
The master-detail relationship allows you to create a custom table that appears and can be edited inline within another record, such as a budget table where you can track costs associated with a strategic initiative.
The many-to-many relationship custom field functions similar to a predefined-tag field. It allows you to associate multiple records from a custom table to your Aha! records. For example, associating customers with a feature.
What makes the custom table especially powerful is that by clicking on the tag, you can open up the details drawer for that specific record, allowing you to view key information for the underlying record.
When adding a many-to-many field, you can specify which custom table records are available for selection from the Record visibility setting on the custom field.
- Entire account: Displays all records in the account. While all records are available for selection, the user will only see those available for their user permissions.
- Product and parent product lines only: Displays only records that are in the current product and those inherited by the parent product lines.
Custom tables allow you to visually bring data together. As with all Aha! data, the data in a custom table is reportable. You can generate lists, pivot tables, charts, and timelines from your new custom tables.