Custom fields help you ensure that key information is captured from your stakeholders when ideas are submitted. Your custom fields may represent data elements related to use cases, financial information, or key expectations from the requestor. Custom fields can also help you document internal-facing data elements that are key to your idea management process.
Add custom fields to an ideas layout
To add custom fields to an ideas layout:
- Navigate to Settings > Account > Custom layouts.
- Choose from one of these three custom layout options —
- Ideas: These custom layouts are only available to Aha! application users and are populated by editing the idea within the Aha! application (not the ideas portal). They allow the product team to privately capture information that is available to other Aha! application users only.
- Ideas forms: These fields are available to be captured from users when submitting a new idea through the ideas portal submission form.
- Ideas portals: These fields are available to view in the ideas portal by all portal users.
- Click Add custom layout.
- Create a custom layout that utilizes the custom fields that you set up on your Settings > Account > Custom fields page.
- Apply the layouts to your products or product lines through Settings > Product (or Product Line).
When you add custom fields to ideas, you can set them to Required for the idea form if needed. This controls whether this custom field is required when submitting an idea through the ideas portal and can provide a means to ensure contributors are adding the idea information you require. This will have no effect when creating or editing an idea through Aha!
As you review ideas, you may opt to move an idea from one product to another. Custom fields will copy over if the same custom field definition is inherited from a product line or if it exists in both products with the same key name, type, and value option.
Once you add custom fields to your ideas, you should also consider adding a matching custom field to your features. That way, the information will automatically transfer to the feature if the idea is promoted.
Certain field types have different behaviors when applied to the Ideas form layout and are used to create or update records in the ideas portal:
- Editable fields and Tags fields: Portal users can choose from existing values but cannot create new values.
- Scorecard fields, Relationship fields, and Custom relationship field types: These field types are not supported for display on the ideas portal.