Custom fields for ideas are a very powerful tool for great idea management. Custom fields ensure key information is captured from your stakeholders when ideas are submitted, such as the priority of the idea or if it is a feature request or a bug.
They also allow product managers to document internal information that may be key to their idea management process, such as which personas an idea affects.
How it works
You can create custom fields for ideas under Settings -> Account -> Custom fields.
Adding custom fields is done through three steps and will require Customizations Administrator access as well as Product Owner access.
- Define what the custom fields are in your Settings -> Account page.
- Create custom layouts that utilize the custom fields in your Settings -> Account page.
- Apply the layouts to your products or product lines through Settings -> Product (or Product Line).
This article will describe specifics around managing custom fields for Ideas.
For full details on how custom fields work and can be defined in your account please reference the custom field support document.
There are three layouts for ideas fields.
- Idea: These fields are only available to Aha! users and are populated by editing the idea within Aha! They allow the product team to privately capture information that is available to other Aha! users only. This information is not visible in the ideas portal, it is only visible within Aha!
- Idea form: These fields are available to be captured from users when submitting a new idea through the idea portal submission form.*
- Idea portal: These fields are available to view in the idea portal by all idea portal users.
When you add custom fields to Ideas, you can set them to Required for the idea form if needed. This controls whether this custom field is required when submitting an idea through the ideas portal, and can provide a means to ensure contributors are adding the idea information you require. This will have no effect when creating or editing an idea through Aha!
During Idea Management
As you review Ideas, you may opt to move an idea from one product to another. Custom fields will copy over if the same custom field definition exists in both products because it is inherited from a product line, or if it exists in both products with the same key name, type, and value option.
Once you add custom fields to your ideas, you should also consider adding a matching custom field to your features. That way the information will automatically transfer to the feature if the idea is promoted.
*Note: Custom scorecard custom fields cannot be viewed or edited on the idea form.