Strategic initiatives connect your vision to the work that will make your goals a reality. The strategy roadmap highlights the timing around your strategic initiatives, and is particularly useful if you are doing top-down planning and looking out over a year or more.
In this article, we've used product management terminology, but of course product managers are not the only professionals focused on strategy. Every workspace type in Aha! uses the strategy roadmap to communicate progress towards their strategic initiatives.
Click any of the following links to skip ahead:
- Create a strategic roadmap
- Add initiatives to your roadmap
- Define the dates of your initiatives
- Customize your roadmap
- Save your roadmap
- Share your roadmap
Create a strategy roadmap
Navigate to Roadmaps > Strategy to access the strategy roadmap. By default, the roadmap will display a date-based view of the initiatives in your current workspace.
Add initiatives to your roadmap
You can click the Initiatives name filter to add additional initiatives to the view from across your various products. You can also quickly add new initiatives by clicking the Add initiative button at the top of your page.
Define the dates of your initiatives
With your initiatives added to the roadmap, you can then manipulate their dates by dragging them left or right. Clicking and dragging the start or end of an initiative will also allow you to extend or shorten the duration.
Initiatives without dates will display on your strategy roadmap, as indicated by striped bars that span the width of your roadmap. You can add dates to these initiatives to resolve the striped bars, or hover over the filters bar and click the Add filters + icon to add a quick basic filter and filter out initiatives without dates. You can also click the Edit filters icon to add advanced filters to your roadmap.
Note: By default, the duration of an initiative is determined by the start date and end date of the releases associated with an initiative. Editing the initiative on the roadmap view will override this default and allow the initiative to have time ranges defined outside of the release schedule.
Customize your roadmap
You can control how your initiatives are showcased by clicking the Customize view dropdown on the roadmap.
- Hide weekends: This option will allow you to focus the roadmap on the Monday-Friday business week and hide Saturday and Sunday from the roadmap view.
- Show goals: Allows you to add goals to your strategic roadmap and visualize how your initiatives and goals are connected. Each goal will be displayed to the right of the initiative that is associated with it.
- No coloration for bars: This option sets the view to the default color scheme where the initiatives all appear as purple bars.
- Color bars by initiative color: This option allows you to manually define the bar colors by editing the color of the initiative itself. There are 40 preset options for colors or use any custom color using its hex color code.
- Color bars by status: This allows the initiatives to be color-coded by status so you can easily visualize the status of your initiatives across your entire portfolio and identify what is on track and what might be slipping behind.
Display the time period of your choice by specifying the timeline Start and End dates for the display along with the desired time scale of days, weeks, months, or quarters.
Save your roadmap
To save your current view, click the Save view button in the top right corner of the page. When you save a view, you will have the option to name it, choose who you wish to share your saved view with, and select if others can edit the view. The Views dropdown lets you access any view you have ever saved.
Share your roadmap
With your strategy roadmap completed, you can easily share it with your stakeholders by selecting one of the export options under the Share menu button on the top right of the screen.
- To fold your roadmap into a presentation, select Add to presentation. In your presentation you can select the roadmap's update frequency.
- To invite people outside of your Aha! account to view your roadmap, select Share as webpage.
- For a static version of your roadmap, select Save as image or Save as PDF.