Many teams use a shared kanban board to improve visibility and increase the flow of work. A common board gets everyone on the same page to visualize resourcing, evaluate project statuses, and manage collaborative work.
In Aha!, this is called a workflow board. You can create one for the following record types:
- Master features / Master activities
- Features / Activities
The Features workflow board has a few settings that the Initiatives workflow board does not, so we're going to focus there in this article.
Note: Depending on your workspace type, this article may refer to Aha! record types differently than your team does.
Click any of these links to skip ahead:
Enable the workflow board
Workflow boards are available for every Aha! account. The initiatives workflow board is available in Strategy > Initiatives. Click the Workflow view icon to see it.
The workflow board for master features, features, and requirements needs to be enabled on a workspace-by-workspace basis. To do this, navigate to Settings ⚙️> Workspace > Navigation. Check the box under Features for Workflow to enable the board for kanban or scrum work. You will need owner user permissions to see these settings.
Once enabled, you will see the new option under Features > Workflow. You now have an agile board to view the status of all of your master features, features, and requirements. The record type dropdown in the upper left allows you to switch between the different types of records.
Customize your workflow board
This kanban board is yours, so we have made it highly customizable. At the top of the workflow board, you will find a variety of settings and filters to help you make this board an insightful representation of your team's workflow.
Use the Record type dropdown to select whether you want Features, Master features, or Requirements to display on your workflow board.
Use the Card size buttons to toggle between Big or Small cards.
Customize the view of your workflow board by clicking the Customize view dropdown. From there:
- The Customize cards option will allow you to customize the layout for Features, Master features, or Requirements in either Expanded or Collapsed views. Drag the field(s) you want to include in the cards from the list on the left to the example card on the right. The changes you make here will affect the Features > Workflow page, but not the Features > Board page, so you can customize record cards differently for each page if you prefer.
- Use the Group by dropdown to control how you want to display cards on the workflow board. Choose Assignee to group cards in swimlanes by individual team member or select None to group cards without swimlanes.
- Cards are displayed in status columns. The Statuses dropdown includes every status in the workflow for your record type. Select the statuses you want to show on your workflow board.
- If you have enabled capacity planning and time tracking for your product, use the Capacity planning checkboxes to Show work estimated, remaining, or done. If you have checked any of those three boxes, you can also check the Show work per user box to display the same information for each user's row as well as each status's column.
- Work estimate: This is the sum of the work estimates within each column.
- Work remaining: This is the sum of the work estimates minus the work done (across all records in each column).
- Work done: This is the sum of the work that has been logged using the Log time button (across all records in each column).
- Show work per user: This setting shows capacity metrics to the right of the user’s name and is the sum of all master feature, feature, or requirement estimates assigned to each user.
Click the Save view button on the right to save your view.
Arrange your workflow board
Just like most reports and boards in Aha!, you can use filters on your workflow board to focus on the exact users, workspaces or releases that you want to analyze. You can also click the Add filter button to add a filter of your own.
Records on the workflow board are ordered based on their respective rankings by default:
- Initiatives will be ordered based on the order defined on the Strategy > Initiatives page.
- If multiple releases are shown on the workflow board, records in earlier releases will appear first, and within a release group that is based on the record rank. If multiple workspaces are present, then the release date is still used and records will appear in release date order.
- Features and master features will be ordered based on the order defined on the Features > Board.
- Requirements will be ordered based on their order defined on a feature.
Click the Save view button on the right to save your filtered view.
You can also create a custom card order by dragging and dropping cards on your workflow board to a new order:
- Cards will retain their order relative to each other, even if you start with a filtered list, or switch your Group by settings.
- Everyone who can view your workflow board sees the same card order, so your changes will be reflected immediately. This way, everyone has a shared understanding of work prioritization.