This support article refers to the historical 1.0 version of the Aha! integration with VSTS. If you are looking for details about how to setup the VSTS 2.0 integration, reference this article.
How it Works
This two way integration allows you to push features and requirements from Aha! into Microsoft Visual Studio Online (VSO) and receive updates back in Aha! from VSO. Visual Studio Online may also be referred to as its new branding, Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS).
As with any Aha! -> development tool integration, it is important to understand that Aha! comes first in the process. Planning is done in Aha!, then the features and releases are sent from Aha! to your development tool, such as Visual Studio Online.
- One Aha! product is associated with one VSO project.
- A feature can be sent to the VSO server using the Actions -> Send to Visual Studio Online menu on the features page.
- Requirements are sent to VSO together with the feature.
- Only the name, description and attachments of features and requirements are sent to VSO.
- If you set up a subscription in VSO, the integration can receive updates about name changes, description changes or status changes from VSO.
- The mapping of VSO states to Aha! workflow statuses is configurable.
You need to be a Product Owner in Aha! to set up this integration.
Step 1: To configure this integration, first configure your Visual Studio Online account.
- Open your account dropdown (usually identified by your first initial or profile image) in the top right of the page and choose the Security.
- Select Alternate authentication credentials.
- Check the box next to Enable alternate authentication credentials.
- Add a User name (secondary) and a Password. This credential will be used with Aha! (not your normal login credential).
Note: Ignore the warning about using personal tokens. You need alternate credentials.
Step 2: Create the integration in Aha!
- Navigate to Settings -> Product and click the + button next to Integrations.
- Click on Visual Studio Online.
- Enter the account name of your Visual Studio Online account.
- Enter the Alternate Authentication Credentials you created in Visual Studio Online.
- Click the Test connection button.
- On success, you should be able to choose a project from Visual Studio Online. You also must select an area of this project where features and requirements should be created.
- Select the workitemtype to which features should be mapped. Then select for each VSO state to which Aha! workflow status it should be mapped. You may also indicate default values for fields that are required in VSO but not entered in Aha! under Default feature fields.
- Repeat step 7 for requirements.
- Enable the integration and test it by going to one of your features in Aha! and using the Actions -> Send to Visual Studio Online menu.
- The feature should now appear in your Visual Studio Online project together with its requirements.
Step 3: Setup a subscription to receive updates from VSO
- Copy the Webhook URL from the configuration page.
- In your Visual Studio Online account, go to the project you want to integrate with.
- Click the small cog in the top center of the main navigation menu and click on the Service Hooks option.
- Add a new service hook by clicking the "+" button to create a new subscription.
- Scroll to and select the option for the Web Hooks service and click Next.
- Under "Trigger on this type of event" dropdown choose the Work item updated trigger from the dropdown menu. You can leave the filters unchanged and click Next.
- In the Action > Settings, paste the Webhook URL from Aha! into the URL field. You can leave the option fields unchanged and click Finish to create the subscription.