There are two concepts to understand when keeping your team up to date with all the additions and edits within Aha!.
- Watchers are people who are following whether info is added or updated
- Notifications are the emails that get sent out to watchers.
Aha! users with appropriate rights can be added to watch at the Product, Strategy, Release, Ideas and Feature levels. Look for the Watchers field. The notifications a watcher receives depends on the record type they are watching:
- Product Line: will only notify about changes to the product line itself and its strategy. It is the only example where all "children" are not automatically watched.
- Product: will notify for all adds and changes across the entire product. This means that any change of the Product, Strategy, Releases, or Features screens will lead to a notification email being sent.
- Vision: will notify for adds and changes on the strategy Vision view
- Business Model: will notify for adds and changes on the Business Model view.
- Persona: If you are added as a watcher to a specific Persona, you will receive notifications for any change to that Persona.
- Competitor: If you are added as a watcher to a specific Competitor, you will receive notifications for any change to that Competitor.
- Strategy Goals: will notify for adds and changes for strategic Goals, and if added to an individual goal, you will be notified for changes to that goal.
- Strategy Initiatives: will notify for adds and changes for strategic Initiatives, and if added to an individual initiative, you will be notified for changes to that initiative.
- Release: (and not the product in which its contained) will notify for adds and changes to Releases and Features.
- Ideas: If you add yourself as a watcher to the Ideas -> Overview page, you will receive notifications for any idea related event. You can alternatively add yourself as a watcher to an individual idea to only receive notifications for that idea.
- Feature: (and not the product or release in which its contained) will notify for adds and changes to that specific feature. This includes requirements added to that feature.
How you get added automatically
If you are the the owner of a product (meaning that you originally created it) you will automatically be a Watcher at the Product level. The same is true for the creator of Releases, Features, and Product Notes — the creator automatically becomes a Watcher. If you no longer want to watch an object that you created you can simply click in the Watcher field on the appropriate screen and remove yourself.
When you are adding or editing text on the various screens in Aha!, you can decide whether to allow the system to send the email notification to the appropriate Watchers or Subscribers immediately, not send it at all, or wait and let the system send the notification automatically. The choice is yours and a control appears at the top of the screen.
Notifications for shipped releases
Email notifications for shipped releases can be sent to watchers of the release by leaving the "Notify release watchers of the shipped release" box checked. Notifications will then be sent to watchers of the product that contains the release and the user who updates the release to "shipped" status.
Manage your notifications
You can manage the records you are watching and the timing of notification emails in your notification preferences.
In some cases, you may just wish to stop watching a series of records. If you no longer need to be updated, simply go to Settings> Personal> Notifications and select the "Watching" tab. Here you can expand each section of your product hierarchy to see what you're watching and delete the items you no longer want to receive notifications for.
* Note: Watchers for ideas are carried over to features when promoted, so those watchers will be added to the feature.