This article provides instructions on how to create and configure an ideas portal and then enable the ideas menu in your Aha! account.
Creating an ideas portal involves two primary steps:
- Creating an ideas portal in Settings > Account > Configure portal.
- Add the product or products to that ideas portal by checking the box in Products in this idea portal.
For an overview of how the ideas portal works, see "Ideas overview."
If you are a product owner or administrator, you will be prompted to create an ideas portal when you access the Ideas > Overview page. To create and configure an ideas portal you must have administrator access with customizations. If you do not have this permission level, contact your Aha! administrator and have them grant you the proper user permissions.
Configure an ideas portal
Each ideas portal can be configured to be submit only, private, or public. You can add one or more products to an ideas portal. You can also create one or more portals for each product.
- Navigate to Settings > Account > Configure portals.
- Click Add portal.
- Fill out each section to fully customize your portal — see more instructions below for details.
Portal type: submit only, private, or public
To get started, select which type of ideas portal you want to use. There are three types available: submit only, private, and public. The portal URL is public, meaning anyone can get to it, but you must share the location with your portal users.
- Submit only: Create a portal that users can fill out to submit new ideas. Portal users will not be able to see or view other submitted ideas.
- Private: Create a portal that is only available to invited users, single sign-on users or users of a pre-defined email domain. These users can submit ideas and view ideas submitted by other registered members of that portal.
- Public: Create a portal that is visible and available to anyone who knows the link. Public ideas can also be indexed by search engines which can help users and prospects find relevant content. Both public users and registered private users can submit ideas to this portal. Public users' ideas will be visible to everyone. Private users' ideas will be visible to only other registered private users. If single sign-on is enabled on public portals, anyone can view the ideas but only authenticated users can submit, vote, or comment.
Note: Enterprise+ customers should be mindful that if IP address access control is configured, external users wishing to access the ideas portal from outside of the specified IP addresses will be blocked.
Customize your settings
After selecting the type of portal you want to use you can completely customize the portal with the following options:
- Create your custom sub-domain: Customizing your portal is important and that starts with having your own ideas sub-domain. This will allow your ideas portal to be available at yourdomain.ideas.aha.io. You also have the option to use a CNAME to configure your own ideas portal URL based on your own company's domain presence to create a unified brand experience.
- Define which products belong to the portal: Select which products can have ideas submitted to this portal. If you add more than one product, the portal automatically creates a drop-down select list in the submission form.
- Add email domains for employees or partners: This is especially important for allowing users to self-register to private ideas portals as well as managing idea visibility in public portals. If you add email domains to a Public portal, anyone with that email domain who self-registers will be an Employee/Partner by default. This means their ideas will not be visible to public portal users.
- Set the visibility for submitted Ideas: Defining the visibility of all newly submitted ideas will allow you to better manage your ideation management and monitoring process. By default, newly submitted ideas are not visible, but you can change them to be visible to employees and partners or visible to anyone upon submission.
- Hide portal user names: Allows toggling whether or not users in the ideas portal show up as anonymous. If set to anonymous, user details are still visible to Aha! users when viewing the idea within the Aha! application. The users only appear as anonymous from within the portal itself.
- Set allocated votes per user: If you wish to control how many votes each ideas portal user can use, you can do so by changing the allocated votes from unlimited to a number you define. You can also set how many votes can be used by a user on any single idea — up to 10.
Additional customizations can be made to configure security, branding, and terminology. For more information, see "Customize your ideas portal."
Use your own URL
By default, the ideas portal will be hosted on a .ideas.aha.io domain. There are two ways that you can alter this to use your own URL.
- Use an application level redirect. This where the redirect is done as part of the HTTP protocol (it can be done by your web server). In this case, the URL the user sees in their browser after the redirect will be xxxx.ideas.aha.io.
Configure idea categories
Use categories to organize your ideas. This allows your users to specify what category their idea belongs to and allows other users to browse through the categories. Categories are also visible to users in your portal when viewing submitted ideas.
Categories are configured per product under Settings > Product > Configure idea categories.