This article provides instructions on how to create and configure an ideas portal, and then enable the ideas menu in your Aha! account.
Creating an ideas portal involves two primary steps:
- Creating an ideas portal in Settings > Account > Configure ideas portals.
- Add the product or products to that ideas portal by checking the box in Products in this idea portal.
For an overview of how the ideas portal works, see Ideas overview.
Accessing the Ideas Overview in Aha! will prompt you to create an Ideas portal if you are a product owner and administrator.
Configure an ideas portal
Each Ideas portal can be configured to be Submit only, Private or Public. You can add one or more product to an Ideas portal. You can also create one or more portal for each product.
- Navigate to Settings > Account > Configure ideas portals.
- Click Add ideas portal.
- Now you can fill out each section to fully customize your portal. Each main area is outlined in detail below.
Portal type: Public, Private or Submit only
First, you need to select which type of ideas portal you want to use. There are three types of portals that can be created in Aha!: Submit only, Private and Public. The portal URL is public, meaning anyone can get to it, but you must share the location with your portal users.
- Submit only: Create a portal that users can fill out to submit new ideas. Portal users will not be able to see or view other submitted ideas.
- Private: Create a portal that's only available to invited users, Single Sign-On users or users of a pre-defined email domain. These users can submit ideas and view ideas submitted by other registered members of that forum.
- Public: Create a portal that's visible and available to anyone who knows the link. Public ideas can also be indexed by search engines which can help users and prospects find relevant content. You can even add pre-defined email domains so that folks can be registered as private users on the Public ideas portal. Both public users and registered private users can submit ideas to this forum. Public users' ideas will be visible to everyone. Private users' ideas will be visible to only other registered private users. If Single Sign-On is enabled on public portals, anyone can view the ideas but only authenticated users can submit, vote and/or comment.
Note: Enterprise+ customers should be mindful that if IP address access control is configured, external users wishing to access the ideas portal from outside of the specified IP addresses will be blocked.
Customizing your Settings
After selecting the type of portal you want to use you can completely customize the portal through any of the following:
- Create your custom sub-domain: Customizing your portal is important and that starts with having your own ideas sub-domain. This will allow your ideas portal to be available at yourdomain.ideas.aha.io. You also have the option to use a CNAME to configure your own ideas portal url based on your own company's domain presence to create a unified brand experience.
- Add your Google Analytics Tracking ID: Enter your Google Analytics Tracking ID (UA-XXXXX-Y) to enable Google Analytics on your Ideas portal to track and analyze traffic to the portal in your Google Analytics account.
- Define which products belong to the portal: Select which products can have ideas submitted to this portal. If you add more than one product, the portal automatically creates a drop-down select list in the submission form.
- Add email domains for Employee/Partners: This is especially important for allowing users to self register to private ideas portals as well as managing idea visibility in public portals. If you add email domains to a Public portal, anyone with that email domain who self-registers will be an Employee/Partner by default. This means their ideas won't be visible to Public portal users.
- Set the visibility for submitted Ideas: Defining the visibility of all newly submitted ideas will allow you to better manage your ideation management and monitoring process. By default, newly submitted Ideas are not visible, but you can change them to be visible to employees and partners or visible to anyone upon submission.
- Hide portal user names: Allows toggling whether or not users in the ideas portal show up as anonymous. If set to anonymous, user details are still visible to Aha! users when viewing the idea within Aha! The users only appear as anonymous from within the portal itself.
- Set allocated votes per user: If you wish to control how many votes each ideas portal user can use, you can do so by changing the allocated votes from unlimited to a number you define. You can also set how many votes can be used by a user on any single idea -- up to 10.
Additional customizations can be made to configure security, branding and terminology. For more information see Customize your Ideas portal.
Use your own URL
By default, the ideas portal will be hosted on a .ideas.aha.io domain. There are two ways that you can alter this to use your own URL.
- Use an application level redirect. This where the redirect is done as part of the HTTP protocol (it can be done by your web server). In this case the URL the user sees in their browser after the redirect will be xxxx.ideas.aha.io.
Configure idea categories
Use Idea categories to organize your ideas. They allow your users to specify what category their idea belongs to and allows other users to browse through the categories. Categories are also visible to users in your portal when viewing submitted ideas.
Categories are configured per product under Settings > Product > Configure idea categories.