Many companies have embraced the use of monitoring real-time dashboards ranging from mission critical deployments centered around data center and business application availability to having large monitors in company lobbies or executive suites showing social media conversations, sentiment, and other statistics about their brand. You can do the same too for communicating product roadmap information throughout your organization.
Viewing real-time dashboards in Notebooks
Aha! Notebooks enable one to publish product roadmaps to both pdf and web page formats for sharing with stakeholders. Web-page views displayed in the Notebook can either be static, taken as a snapshot in time, or they can be live. The "Live view" update setting automatically updates the content displayed in the page as data changes in Aha! This allows for the creation of real-time dashboards for communicating elements of your roadmap and product plans in real-time with the most popular being status oriented dashboards.
Creating and publishing real-time dashboards
The steps for creating and publishing real-time dashboards through Notebooks consists of the following:
- Create the view you wish to include in your Notebook and then save it.
- Click on the "Add to Notebook" button to add the saved view to the Notebook of choice. A message indicating the update will appear and you can click on the link to go right to the notebook.
- You can also select the Notebook menu tab and select your Notebook to configure the details to "live view". Most often live views are of a single page (slide) only since they are typically displayed on a big screen, but you may choose to have multiple pages that you rotate (manually) over time. In that case, drag and drop the page into the desired page sequence.
- Change the update option to "Live view".
- Click on the blue "Generate web page" or "Update web page" button at the top. When this completes click on the green button "Open web page".
- Use a Chrome extension or Firefox add-on of your choice that will automatically refresh the screen no more than every 5 minutes. This will auto-update and display any changes such as feature status changes, and new features or releases that are added. Note - these extensions and add-ons are not created or managed by Aha! They are simply a way to cause your browser to auto-refresh.
Note: If you want to change the aspects on your page such as how you're filtering in or out certain releases and features, you will need update those changes to the saved view that was added to your notebook. Simply navigate to the saved view, make your changes and save it again. On the other hand, changes such as adding a new feature to a release that's already published will happen in real-time.
Real-time status dashboard examples
Real-time dashboards are most applicable for providing visibility into the more dynamic components of your product plans that tend to change over the course of a day. Common examples include:
- Feature status by release
- Workflow/Kanban view of what's flowing through development
- Release status information
- Idea status by product
- The most recently submitted ideas
The following is an example of a live dashboard showing status, assignments, and work remaining for each feature assigned to a planned release. You'll be able to see in real-time as features change status, work remaining is updated, and assignees altered.