It's easy to take nearly any view in Aha! and publish it as an Aha! Notebook via a PDF or secure web page. You can proudly share your roadmap and the brilliance that went into it. You can also keep it up to date with ease since Aha! remembers which pages have been included in each of your Notebooks.
This feature has been carefully crafted to keep you in control of who sees what and when. Sometimes as features and dates change, you want your published roadmap to automatically reflect the new reality. However, more often than not, you want to be able to decide when to present the latest and also have the time to communicate new updates. You can do both with this feature.
You can create as many Notebooks as you need. Quickly customize and share your roadmap with different folks based on what they need.
Create a Notebook
- In the top-right corner of any page in Aha!, click the More options button, and then select Add to notebook.
- In the Add to notebook window, select Existing notebook or Create new notebook, and then enter the required information.
- Click Add to notebook.
- If you want, you can continue adding any pages from Aha! that you want to share.
Note: You can add up to 40 pages to a single Notebook.
Manage Notebook details and share with team members
To customize or share a Notebook:
- Go to Reports > Notebooks Overview, and then click on a Notebook in the list.
- Here, you can change the title, subtitle, and description, and attach your own image.
- Click on the Notebook. Here, you can perform the following actions:
- Rearrange the pages in the Notebook: Drag and drop the pages in the order you want to present them. By default, the pages are initially arranged in the order that you added them to the Notebook.
- Add collaborators: If you want to collaborate on a Notebook with someone else from your team, you can give them access by clicking Actions > Manage collaborators. Each collaborator will be able view, edit, and add more pages to the Notebook.
- When you are ready to publish the Notebook, click Generate web page, Generate PDF, or Download PDF.
You can also custom brand your Notebooks by adding your own logos. To learn more, see "Custom brand your Notebooks."
Web Notebooks are externally accessible pages where your stakeholders can access the pages in Aha! you elect to share. Each page can have its own update method.
- Click on the title of a page within a Notebook.
- Select one of these options from the Update frequency dropdown.
- Live view: Automatically updates the page every time the data is changed in Aha!
- Refresh on update: Only updates the page when the manual Update web page button is clicked.
- Use a snapshot: Creates a static, point-in-time reference of the page.
Web Notebook controls
While browsing a web Notebook, there are control options located at the bottom-right that allow you to navigate forward and backward, enable autoplay, access the table of contents, and toggle to view a full-screen version of the Notebook.
Notebook configuration options
- Footer: The text entered here displays at the bottom of both web and PDF Notebooks.
- Slide transitions: Allows enabling and disabling of the page flipping animation when transitioning between pages in a web Notebook.
- Autoplay slide duration: The time in seconds between slide transitions during autoplay.
- Password: Enables password protection for the Notebook. Users will be required to enter the password before accessing content within the Notebook.
- Enhanced security: Allows toggling whether the Notebook is visible publicly to anyone with access to the URL or if it is only available to Aha! users. Customers on the Enterprise+ plan will have the additional option of Notebook SSO.
- Optimize for: Allows toggling whether the PDF Notebook is optimized for viewing or printing. Optimizing for viewing removes page size constraints.
- Paper size: Defines the paper size to be used when the PDF is optimized for printing.
- Orientation: Choose between portrait or landscape orientation of pages within the PDF.
Web Notebook security
When you create a web page, a secure link is generated that will not be indexed by search engines. You can then share that link as desired with the proper stakeholders. Links display on the page cards to quickly navigate to the view in Aha! If the card represents a saved view, it will also include a bookmark icon to the left of the hyperlink.
You may also add additional protection by setting a password for a Notebook using the Customize notebook button on the upper-left of the page. At any time, you can change the password or remove it completely. Users will need to re-enter the password if the password changes.
In addition to setting a password for web Notebooks, you can go to Settings > Account > Security and single sign-on and restrict web Notebook access to Aha! users only. This adds another layer of protection to who can access Notebooks.
Note: Enterprise+ customers should be mindful that, if IP based access control is configured, this can block any external users wishing to access the Notebook from outside of the specified IP addresses.
If you update a Notebook after publishing it, you can create new PDFs. You can also download the old versions that were created (on the left of the screen).
For web pages, please note that there is always only one URL per Notebook. While you can view older versions that were created (on the left of the screen), you cannot revert to an older web page and publish it.
Copy a Notebook
You can copy an existing Notebook as a starting point for creating a variation of it.
- Go to Reports > Notebooks Overview and open the details page of the Notebook you wish to copy.
- In the details page, click the More options button, and then select Copy notebook. This will include all Notebook pages, collaborators, and to-dos.
Change Notebook ownership
After disabling users, Product Owners and Contributors with administrator permissions can take control of any Notebook created by a user that no longer has access to Aha!
To change the owner of a Notebook to yourself
- Go to Reports > Notebooks Overview and click on the name of a Notebook.
- In the details page, click the More options button, and then select Take over.
- Click the Take Over button to immediately transfer ownership to yourself.