This two-way status integration allows you to push your completed features and requirements in Aha! into Pivotal Tracker get status updates back. The integration supports both on-demand and private cloud versions of Pivotal Tracker.
When you have completed your product roadmap and feature planning you can move features into Pivotal Tracker for the engineering team to work on. You can send them individually or in bulk for a release. This makes it easy for product management to set brilliant product strategy and share visual roadmaps while engineering can continue to work in Pivotal Tracker. Because of the two-way integration, status updates and changes to the story name and description are reflected in Aha! and the PM is able to automatically track what stories have been completed.
You may also have a need to create multiple integrations per product in order to accommodate how the engineering team is split up. For example, you may have an overarching product to manage, but there may be 2 teams, one for the front end and one for the backend. This can be done simply by creating multiple integrations within Aha! (make sure you rename them on the top-left to keep the teams straight).
All integrations are configured in Settings -> Product. You need to be a Product Owner in Aha! and a Project owner in Pivotal Tracker to set up this integration.
From Aha! to Pivotal Tracker
The following information is copied from Aha! when a feature is sent to Pivotal Tracker:
- Feature name
- Feature description
- Story point estimates
- One Aha! product is associated with one or more Pivotal Tracker projects.
- Individual features can be sent to Pivotal Tracker using the Actions -> Send to Pivotal Tracker menu on the features page.
- All features in a release (that have not already been implemented or sent to Pivotal Tracker previously) can be sent to Pivotal Tracker using the Actions -> Send to Pivotal Tracker menu on the release page.
- Features can be mapped to epics or stories in pivotal tracker.
- Requirements, which live in features, can be mapped to stories or tasks in pivotal tracker.
- Only the description and attachments of a feature or requirement are sent. No Aha! To-Dos or comments are included.
- When a feature is sent to Pivotal Tracker, its status in Aha! is automatically changed to "Ready to develop".
- After a feature is first sent to Pivotal Tracker, changes to the name, description and requirements, can also be sent to Pivotal Tracker using the Actions -> Update Pivotal Tracker menu on the features page or by sending all features in a release to Pivotal Tracker again. New requirements will also be created in Pivotal Tracker, however stories that were created for an existing requirement are not deleted from Pivotal Tracker if the requirement is deleted from Aha!. If an attachment is deleted in Aha! the corresponding attachment in Pivotal Tracker is not deleted.
From Pivotal Tracker to Aha!
Changes in Pivotal will be reflected in Aha! in real time. This enables the PM to be able to track what stories have been completed automatically.
- Story name
- Story description
- Story or Task status
- Story point estimates
You need to be a Product Owner in Aha! and a Project owner in Pivotal Tracker to set up this integration.
Please carefully follow these instructions to ensure that the integration is properly configured. These instructions are also found in Aha! under Settings -> Product -> Integrations -> Pivotal Tracker.
First configure Pivotal Tracker:
Go to the Settings page for the project, and then choose the Integrations tab or choose Configure Integrations.
Under External Tool Integrations at the bottom of the page, create a new Other integration.
Name the integration "Aha", and set the Base URL to "https://<yourdomain>.aha.io/features" (where <yourdomain> is the sub-domain for your account).
Mark the integration as Active, leave the other fields blank and save the integration.
On the Profile page, copy the API token.
Next create the integration in Aha!
- Navigate to the product you wish to integrate using the drop-down menu to the right of your home button.
- Under Settings -> Product click on the + button next to Integrations.
- Select Pivotal Tracker.
- Enter your API host for your private cloud, on-premise Pivotal Tracker. If you are using on-demand Pivotal Tracker, leave this field blank.
Enter the API token you copied from Pivotal Tracker. Click the Test connection button. After a short delay, you will be able to choose the Project the stories will be created in.
Choose the integration in Pivotal Tracker that you created in step 2 above.
Finally, create a web hook
Create a new Activity Web Hook for v5 in Pivotal Tracker and paste in the Hook URL.
Enable the integration.
Test the integration by going to one of your features in Aha! and using the Actions -> Send to Pivotal Tracker menu on the features page. You should then look at your project in Pivotal Tracker and see that the feature (and any requirements) were properly copied.
Note: You can add the integration multiple times if you want to integrate multiple projects with a single Aha! product. Once you have added an integration, you may change the title to specify the project this integration belongs to by clicking on the title at the top of the integration set-up page.
You can choose to send Initiatives, Features and Requirements over as follows:
- Feature -> Story, Requirement -> Story
- Feature -> Epic, Requirement -> Story
- Feature -> Story, Requirement -> Task
- Initiative -> Epic, Feature -> Story, Requirement -> Task
You may also map Feature statuses and Feature types between Aha! and Pivotal Tracker.
To help you troubleshoot an error, we provide the detailed integration logs below. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further help.