Custom fields allow you to capture data that is important to your business but not a part of Aha! by default. You can add any number of fields to suit your needs, and every field you add can be reported on through the various reporting tools in Aha!
To avoid cluttering the UI with unused fields, we suggest that you add only what is essential. But, ultimately, it is all up to you. Aha! users create custom fields for product components, expected revenue, priority, hardware supported, committed customer dates, or any other information that will augment their product strategy.
Adding a custom field is a three-step process and requires product owner and administrator access with customizations permissions.
Configure custom fields
Adding custom fields
- Go to Settings > Account > Custom fields.
- Click on the tab where you want to add the field, and then click Add custom field.
- Select the type of field you want to add, and then click Next. If you are an Enterprise + customer, this list will include any custom worksheet fields created in your account.
- Note: Aha! record relationships are custom field types that allow you to associate Aha! records with other Aha! record types like products, competitors, and personas. These are a tag type field that allows multiple selections. When configuring this custom field, you can use Filter field values to specify whether the selectable values should span the entire account or be isolated to a specific product line or product. Further, users will only see values that they have permission to see.
- Note: When you select an Editable choice list or Tags field for your ideas portal, users can choose existing values but not create new ones.
- Enter the field details and, if needed, enter an API key in the Key field. Depending on the custom field type you select, this step is also where you can bulk edit or assign colors to predefined field choices.
- Specify the custom field layout where your custom field should appear by choosing Use in layouts and selecting the custom field layout in use by your product(s). Note: If your product doesn't yet have any custom field layouts for this object type, then choose Use in products. This will automatically create a new custom field layout for your new field and assign that layout to the product you have selected currently.
- Click Create.
Add the custom field to a custom field layout
Now that you have created the custom field, you need to add it to a custom field layout. What is a layout? It’s where you determine where you want custom fields to display on the page for a record type.
You can create different layouts for the creation of the record and the record itself. For example, you may only want to require a few fields for a user to create a feature, but once the feature has been created (and as it progresses towards completion) you might want a wealth a fields to capture all the data that the feature needs. These two types of layout are called the Create layout and the Detail custom field layout.
Layouts are organized by data object, which can be selected at the top of Settings > Account > Custom layouts. After you have selected the data object for which you want to manage a layout, you will have options to:
- Add a new custom layout.
- Clone an existing custom layout. Hover to the right of the layout you want to copy in the Actions column, and then click Clone. A new duplicate layout will be created with the same name prepended with "[Copy]" for you to edit and assign to products.
- Modify an existing custom layout. Hover to the right of the layout you want to edit in the Actions column, and then click Edit. Use the tabs to select whether you would like to modify the Create layout or the Detail custom field layout, then drag and drop each field from the Available Fields column to the Visible Fields column in the desired order. You can also use the search field to quickly find the custom fields you need from the list. To remove a field, simply move it back over to Available Fields and it will no longer display that layout.
Apply the layouts to your products or product lines
Now that you have your layout defined, it is time to determine which products it will apply to. Go to Settings > Product > Configure. Scroll to the Custom layouts section, and then select Use layouts inherited from [product line name] or Customize layouts.
Import data to custom fields
After you create a custom field, you can populate it using the Import from CSV tool. Each custom field requires its own column. If you are using a custom field with a predefined list, make sure the data you are importing matches the options in the list.
Expand beyond custom fields with custom tables
Custom tables is a feature available to Enterprise+ customers. A custom table is a collection of records organized in a table with data defined by custom fields. With custom tables, you can capture key information and link it directly to your existing data in Aha! — expanding your use of custom fields exponentially.
Custom table relationships
These options are exclusively available to Enterprise+ customers who use custom tables.
- Many to many relationship: Allows linking multiple records from a custom table to a standard record or another custom table.
- Master-detail relationship: Create and edit custom table entries inline within a standard table or another custom table.