Custom fields allow you to capture data that is important to your business but not a part of Aha! by default. You can add any number of fields to suit your needs and every field you add can be reported on through the various reporting tools in Aha!
Common custom fields include bits of information such as product component; priority; requested by; hardware supported; committed customer date; and more.
To avoid cluttering the UI with unused fields, we suggest that you add only what's essential. But, as always, we humbly acknowledge that it's all up to you.
Configure custom fields
Adding custom fields is done through three steps and will require Customizations Administrator access as well as Product Owner access.
- Define what the custom fields are in your Settings -> Account page.
- Create custom layouts that utilize the custom fields in your Settings -> Account page.
- Apply the layouts to your products or product lines through Settings -> Product (or Product Line).
To start, go to Settings -> Account -> Custom Fields; this requires your user to have the Customizations Administrator role to access. Select + in the section where you would like to add the field then select which type of field you would like to use, name the field, define an API key and optionally add a description.
There are several custom field types that you can use.
- Text field - a single line of text
- Number field - a field containing only numbers
- Date field – a date field with a popup date picker
- URL field – a clickable URL field that opens in a new tab
- Pre-defined choice list – create a list of choices that the user can choose from (select one)
- Editable choice list – create a list of choices and allow the user to type in their own (select one)
- Pre-defined tags field - choose multiple values from a pre-defined list of choices.
- Tags field – create a list of choices and allow the user to type in their own (select many)
- Notes field - a multi-lined text area that contains formatted text.
- Scorecard Field - add an additional scorecard field to capture quantifiable metrics for prioritization. You can see more about using custom scorecard fields to prioritize initiatives.
Aha! record relationships
These custom fields allow you to associate Aha! records with other records. The Aha! record relationships support adding a custom field for Products, Goals, Initiatives, Competitors, Personas, Releases, Features, Ideas and Users.
The custom field for record relationships is a tag type field which allows for multiple selections. You can specify whether the values in the drop-down choice list should span the entire account or be isolated to a specific product line or product in the Filter field values to dropdown found in the Create custom field modal.
Note: Available records will be restricted based on user product permissions regardless of the filter option chosen.
Custom table relationships
These are exclusively available to Enterprise+ customers who are making use of custom tables in Aha!
- Many-to-many relationship - Enterprise+ only, allows linking multiple records from a custom table to a standard record or another custom table.
- Master-detail relationship - Enterprise+ only, create and edit custom table entries inline within a standard table or another custom table.
Add the custom field to a custom field layout
Once a custom field is created, you need to add it to a custom field layout. What is a layout? It’s how you determine where you want custom fields to appear on the screen.
To modify a layout, select Edit and drag a custom field from the Available Fields column to the Visible Fields column. Drop your custom field into the section where you want it to appear, in your preferred order. To remove a field, simply move it back over to Available Fields and it will no longer be visible in that layout.
Assign the layout to your product
Now that you have your layout defined, it is time to determine which products it will apply to. This is managed by Product Owners in Settings -> Product -> Configure. Once you are on the configuration page, navigate to the Custom fields section. There, you can choose whether each product will use the layout inherited from its product line or apply a different one.
Import data to custom fields
Once a custom field is created, you can also populate it using the Import from CSV tool. Each custom field requires its own column. If you are using a custom field with a pre-defined list, just make sure the data you are importing matches the options in the list.
Expand beyond custom fields with custom tables
Custom tables is a feature available to Enterprise+ customers. A custom table is a collection of records organized in a table with data defined by custom fields. With custom tables, you can not only capture key information, but you can also link it directly to your existing data in Aha! and expand your use of custom fields exponentially.