One of the first steps for getting up and running with Aha! is to seed your account with your own data. This is made easy with the Aha! CSV import functionality.
To start importing your information into Aha! first, navigate to the product for which you want to import (Importing is not available at a product line level). Then select Settings -> Product -> Import from CSV. Follow the steps listed below. You must be a Product Owner in Aha! to use the import functionality.
1. Select the type of information you would like to import
- Master features
- Idea portal users
- Custom table records (Enterprise+ only)
Items to note when importing
- When importing features, you may also import your requirements' names and descriptions, if applicable.
- You may also update your Aha! data when importing.
- To import Master features, you must have them enabled for the product you are importing to. Enabling Master features requires the Customizations administrator privileges.
- Importing Idea portal users also requires Customizations administrator privileges.
- Importing Users requires Billing administrator privileges. Enterprise+ customers can also assign Paid Seat groups to users upon import.
2. Choose the release, product or ideas portal
Select where you want to add the information. The selection available depends on your choice in step 1.
3. Prepare your CSV file
We know that importing information into a new tool is often painful. That’s why we have provided templates and guides to make this process as easy as possible. Click the "What fields can I import?" button and take a moment to review the supported fields. We have also provided a template you can use by clicking "Download template CSV."
Helpful tip: If you are importing fields that have values already configured in Aha! you should ensure that the data that's in your CSV file will match. Otherwise you will get an error on import. Examples of these fields are feature status fields, the "created_by" field or pre-defined custom fields.
Date format: Please be sure to convert any dates to YYYY-MM-DD format before importing.
4. Upload your CSV file
When you upload your CSV file, you will be prompted to map the Aha! fields to your fields. After you confirm the right column headings, click the "Import" button. The import will happen automatically; when it is complete, you will see a confirmation message with a link to the location of your newly created Aha! data. If there are any errors during the import, an error message will be displayed with instructions on how to correct the problem.
Your import was successful. You can add more information or view the information in Aha! that was just added.
File format issues
The Import from CSV feature only supports files which have UTF-8 encoding. UTF-8 encoding supports all writing systems around the world, including special asian and european characters. However there are some characters that are often found in exports from bug tracking systems which are not valid for UTF-8. In that case, you may see this error message during the import:
CSV file is invalid: invalid byte sequence in UTF-8
The most common cause for this message is the existence of curly quotation marks and apostrophes - often with text that was created in MS Word or Outlook. There are two ways to convert your CSV file to UTF-8 encoding:
- If you are using Windows, you can get Excel to save in UTF-8 encoding. Visit this link for instructions: http://surveygizmo.helpgizmo.com/help/article/id/517eb938fe775aa82f000004-how-to-encode-an-excel-file-to-utf-8-or-utf-16.
- If you are using Excel on a Mac, you can save as MS-DOS Comma separated. This will convert to 7-bit ASCII, which is compatible with UTF-8.