Atlassian HipChat provides a group chat platform for agile teams, making it easy to keep distributed teams in sync and productive through real-time sharing of information and integration with third party systems. You can automatically send all product activity to HipChat through this integration (It will send the same information that you see in your own activity stream in Aha!).
This is fantastic if you want a larger cross-functional team to be notified of key product decisions or events. Configure the integration under Settings. You can choose to create one or many integrations at the account or product level. If you create it at the account level it will send the activity stream for every product. So, you can maintain greater control if you set it up by product. It's up to you.
You need to be an admin in your Aha! account to create an integration at the account level and only a product owner to create one at the product level.
WARNING Sending activity out of Aha! and into HipChat bypasses the security controls in Aha!. Anyone who has access to your HipChat channel will be able to see the activity, regardless of whether they have access to that information in Aha!
You may wish to filter the messages received by Aha! object (e.g.: features, requirements, etc.) and related data (e.g.: release phase, status, etc.). You can easily do this by using the configuration options. This will cut down on unnecessary messages from populating your HipChat room.
Configure room in HipChat
- In HipChat, go to the administration web interface. On the Rooms screen choose the room you want Aha! activity to be sent to.
- Go to the Tokens sub-menu.
- Create a new token and name it Aha.
- Copy the value of the new token, you will need this in the Aha! configuration below.
Create the integration in Aha!
- Enter the API host for your on-premise HipChat installation or leave blank if you are using the cloud version.
- Enter the token from step 4 above into the Auth token field.
- Enter the name of the room from step 1 into the Room name field. You must enter the room name exactly as it appears in HipChat.
- Click the Test connection button. After a short delay you should see a message appear in your HipChat client in the room you selected.
- Select the activities that will be sent to your HipChat channel. (Recommended)
- Select the Aha! users for which activity will be picked up and sent to HipChat. (Default is everyone)
- Enable the integration.
- Consider renaming this integration with your HipChat channel name for easy future reference. Perhaps something like: "HipChat: #customers." You can do this by clicking the HipChat text in the heading of the page.
Note: All activity waits 5 minutes before posting to HipChat. This is to keep communication concise and avoid excessive messaging when a user is performing multiple edits at once.
To help you troubleshoot an error, we provide the detailed integration logs below. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further help.