Personas are fictional representations of the very real people who need and use your product(s). Well-defined personas allow your entire team to empathize with your customers' pain points and better understand their needs.
Like all forms of strategy in Aha!, personas are linked directly to your work. They can be added to records like master features, releases, and features. By linking personas to your work, your team can get a deeper understanding of who you are trying to reach.
You can build and customize personas in Aha! to capture key details like descriptions, likes and dislikes, income, and education. You can even add a banner image to give a face to your persona and add it to an Aha! presentation.
Personas are located under Strategy > Personas. The first time you visit the personas page and click Add persona, an example persona called Paul: Pro Racer will be added. The persona for Paul provides an example of the type of content you can build out on the Personas page.
To get started with your own personas, click Add persona on the left side of your screen. Adding a new persona will provide a blank canvas that you can use to begin adding details. To edit your persona, click anywhere on the persona to open the Persona details drawer.
You can adjust the design of your persona by dragging and dropping fields on any of your personas. By default, all fields will be displayed on the card, but you can hide any of them by mousing over a field and clicking the Hide field icon.
As soon as you hide a field, a new dropdown for Hidden fields becomes available. The Hidden fields dropdown allows you to re-enable any fields that you hid. Data associated with fields you hide is retained and will still be there if you unhide a field.
You can reorder the persona list on the left side by hovering over a persona card then dragging and dropping the persona using the arrows icon. This helps to ensure that your target personas are well prioritized and easily visible.
Add a banner image
Customize your persona by adding a banner image that will appear across the heading of your persona. To add a banner image:
- Navigate to Strategy > Personas.
- Choose the persona that you would like to edit. Then, click anywhere on the persona to launch the Persona details drawer.
- To add an image to a persona that does not currently have an image, click Choose heading image.
- To replace an existing image, click Replace heading image.
- To remove an existing image, click the trash icon to delete the image.
- The image editor allows you to crop, zoom, rotate, and move the image.
- To adjust the size of your crop window, drag the handles to the desired size. The crop window will maintain a 5:1 ratio so it will fit on your heading.
- Drag the Zoom slider to increase or decrease the image size.
- Rotate the image using the Rotate clockwise and Rotate counterclockwise buttons.
- To adjust the placement of the image, drag the image by clicking on the image outside of the cropping pane.
- While editing, click Reset to default to restore the image and cropping pane to its original state.
Note: The ideal image file size for the image editor is rectangular, at least 1000 x 200 pixels, and have a ratio of about 5:1. Supported file types include .png, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .jp2, .bmp, .tif, and .tiff.
If you build out a product line hierarchy where your team defines personas at higher levels in your account, personas will be inherited to all child products and product lines. This will happen by default and all inherited personas will be identified along the left navigation.
Move or copy personas between products
Personas can be copied or moved to other product lines and products. To copy or move a persona:
- Navigate to Strategy > Personas.
- Select a persona to open up the details view.
- Click on the More details button in the top-right corner of the page, and then select Copy persona or Move persona.
- If you are copying a persona, select a product or product line, enter a new name, and then click Copy.
- If you are moving a persona, select a product or product line, and then click Move. You can also delete a persona from this menu with the Delete persona option.
Add the personas custom field
Custom fields can be added to your products, competitors, goals, initiatives, releases, ideas, master features, features, and requirements. Personas have their own custom field type that pre-populates with the list of your defined user personas and allows you to easily associate the personas with the different Aha! data objects.
If you want the custom field to be automatically added to all products in your portfolio, add the field to a product line instead of a product and it will automatically inherit to every product under the product line.